Canadian Home Sales Fall Further In December
Wednesday Jan 16th, 2019
Statistics released today by the Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) show national home sales posted a fourth-straight monthly decline in December 2018.
• National home sales fell 2.5% from November to December.
• Actual (not seasonally adjusted) activity was down by 19% from one year ago.
• The number of newly listed homes was little changed from November to December.
• The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) was up 1.6% year-over-year (y-o-y) in December.
• The national average sale price fell by 4.9% y-o-y in December.
Home sales via Canadian MLS® Systems fell by 2.5% in December 2018 compared to November, capping the weakest annual sales since 2012. Monthly declines in activity since September have fully retrenched its summer rally and returned it near the lowest level since early 2013.